Tuesday, March 15, 2005

About frikkin time - I know!

I've been remiss - I promised a review some time ago of :


This was pointed out to me in the letter accompanying the (undoubtedly) cracking cd's I received today from the great man himself *grin* I take it back - HG could never become more of a favourite blogger than one who feeds my music addiction *grin*
So - I hide my face in shame - throw on the cd in question and start to write...

First of all - a track list to let you lovely people know what's coming:
  1. All Mighty Senators - Soul
  2. Lowest of the Low - The unbearable lightness of jean (live)
  3. Grateful Dead - Mama Tried
  4. Cake - I will survive
  5. The Weakerthans - Watermark
  6. Dropkick Murphys - The Dirty Glass
  7. Goldfinger - 99 Red Balloons
  8. Spirit of the West - Home for a rest
  9. Green day - Fashion Victim
  10. Pearl Jam - Yellow Ledbetter (live)
  11. Grateful Dead - Brown eyed woman
  12. The Weakerthans - Confessions of a Futon-Revolutionist
  13. Lowest of the Low - Rosie and Grey (live)
  14. The Clash - Rudie can't fail
  15. Flogging Molly - What's left of the flag
  16. Dead Milkmen - The Thing that only eats hippies
  17. Billy Bragg - Days like these (UK version)
  18. Mighty Mighty Bosstones - Almost anything goes
  19. Ron Hawkins & the Rusty Nails - Partners in crime
  20. The weakerthans - Reconstruction site
  21. Grateful Dead - Promised land
Now the thing that first hit me upon eagerly reading this list was how few of the tracks I knew yet how many of the artists I recognised from working at the Uni.
Yup - the crowd screaming 'Pogue Mahone' at a Dropkick Murphys gig was highly amusing, awful people though - shit gig to work. Wankers... As is too often the case these days - cool band, fans suck! Seeing Goldfinger and the Mighty Mighty Bosstones on there also stirred a few memories - good ones though, they are 2 bands who really know how to create a great atmosphere! As do Green Day - but I always felt old when they played...

Anyway, I digress...

Upon listening to the CD I have to say I was very impressed!
Not only because all the songs suit my musical taste, but because the CD works so well as a whole, every tune feels as though it belongs with the others.
The reason this impresses me is because I know it is far too easy to get sidetracked when making a mix - especially one of more than 10 songs!
Hot Karl did not do this.
You could play this CD in the order as represented or leave it on shuffle - either way the following track would sound as though that's the song that SHOULD be next.

Were hot Karl's Diner an actual place I could go and sit, instead of merely lurking and reading, then they'd have to kick me out before the tunes stopped playing (regardless of the questionable quality of the food as represented on the cover of the CD) all I want to know now is:
"When will the jukebox be updated?"
*grin*

I can honestly say that I'm glad to have been introduced to the All Mighty Senators and The Weakerthans because 'Soul' and 'Reconstruction site' are probably my favourite tracks on this album, closely followed by 'Promised Land' and 'I will survive' (it's the bassline that does it for me on the latter track - you cannot beat a funky bassline)

On a scale of 1 to 10 (10 being the highest) I have to award a definite 9.5**

Well Done sir! Good show!
ButI'd just like to take this opportunity to point out that while the weather may be dreary and the food traditionally bland - not all the people are dull *grin* one day I'll introduce you to J...
Poor poor guy...

**(I can't give a 10, he might not attempt a vol. 2 if I give it all out on the first attempt...)

5 Comments:

Blogger Vics said...

ugh god no! I know it make me a freak but i'm not a massive radiohead fan - and travis... whingy boy bands have never done it for me - no matter how nice they are as people!

3:42 PM  
Blogger crazytigerrabbitman said...

I know what a "Hot Karl" is here in North America, but I know I'd never consider one as a menu option. But then again, you're in the U.K. - so you'll just inevitably deep fry it with some chips and mushy peas.

8:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there Vics, I just wanted to compliment you on your site and the consumer review related information that's provided. While I was looking for information on consumer review, I came across your site and although About frikkin time - I know! wasn't exactly what I was looking for, it certainly got my attention. Great post and keep up the good work.

5:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Vics, I have been visiting sites for hours and I really like what you have done with your blog. Informative and interesting! In fact I found your site just after
I visited spyware
It's not exactly what I was looking for but it was nonetheless interesting to read.

5:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Vics, I have been visiting sites for hours and I really like what you have done with your blog. Informative and interesting! In fact I found your site just after
I visited review
It's not exactly what I was looking for but it was nonetheless interesting to read.

11:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home